Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program

Together We Can Do Great Things

The Housing Choice Voucher Program assists families with rent in the private market. With a housing voucher, the family leases a unit within Jefferson County where the landlord agrees to rent under the program and the unit meets Housing Quality Standards.

A housing subsidy is paid directly to the landlord by the Housing Authority on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. The family’s portion of rent is adjusted according to household income.

Under the tenant-based program, the voucher is assigned to the family and participant can take the voucher with them if they relocate

JCHA currently has been allocated 263 vouchers from HUD and JCHA strives very hard annually to fill as many vouchers as possible. If you have additional questions about the program or would more information on applying, visit our applicants page

To apply, please visit our Applicants Page

How do I rent my unit(s) to Housing Choice participants?

Contact the Housing Authority for Landlord information.

Helpful Links:
Landlord Packet
A Good Place to Live
Information on Electrical Outlets

What are the tenant’s responsibilities?

Like any tenant, Section 8 participants have responsibilities to you – which should be spelled out in the lease.

Can I terminate the tenancy of a Housing Choice Voucher program participant?

Yes, you have the same rights with Housing Choice participants that you have with any other tenants. You can evict a tenant who violates the terms of the lease. You must provide a copy of any eviction notice to the Housing Authority the same time you notify the tenant.

What does a unit have to have in order to pass an inspection?

The unit needs to meet basic Housing Quality Standards for safe and sanitary housing. Doors and windows must open, close and lock. Plumbing and electrical systems must work properly. Heating must be adequate & ventless gas heaters are not permitted. Most well maintained rental units should be able to pass an inspection.

For more complete information on inspections, please see the brochures:
A Good Place to Live
Information on Electrical Outlets

What is a Section 8 Voucher?

The Housing Choice Voucher Program assists families with rent in the private market. The voucher program is funded through the Department of Housing and Urban Development and is a voucher for a participant to receive monthly rental assistance paid directly to a private owner landlord on their behalf. The participant has choice of where and what type of unit within the county that they wish to rent and will execute a lease with the private owner. Their portion of the rent will be paid directly to the private owner. The HA will pay the remainder of the rent directly to the owner each month.

How do I apply for the Voucher Program?

Visit our Application Page

How long is the wait for a Voucher?

There is a waiting list for assistance. Applicants are screened and eligible applicants are placed on the waiting list according to time and date of the application. The wait list varies, and it is impossible to give an amount of time.

How much rent will I pay for a rental unit?

The rent a family will pay for a rental unit is based on 30% of the family's total adjusted annual income.

Can I get help immediately if I already live where the landlord takes Vouchers?

No, to be able to receive any kind of rental assistance, you must go through the application process.

How do I submit changes to my household, income, address or phone number?

All changes must be submitted In Writing to the Housing Authority office.

2019 Landlord of the year
Marty Clark named Landlord of the year 2019
HCV Scholarship Recipient with Staff
HCV Scholarship Recipient with Staff

Mainstream Voucher

JCHA currently has been awarded 33 Mainstreams vouchers. JCHA has also applied for more Mainstream vouchers, and have not yet been notified of our award as of 11/1/2020. The qualifications to apply for Mainstream vouchers is as follows:

  • Vouchers must be used to assist non-elderly persons with disabilities and their families.
  • Non-elderly persons with disabilities must be at least 18 years of age and less than 62 years of age.
  • The eligible household member DOES NOT need to be the head of household, but the eligible person must be at least 18 years of age (disabled minor children in the household do not qualify the family for these vouchers)

When applying, please be certain on page one to circle “Section 8” and also write underneath it, “Mainstream”. If we determine the application does not qualify for Mainstream, if approved, we will place it on the waiting list for regular Section 8.

There is not a separate application for Mainstream, it is the same application used by Section 8 for their “regular” voucher program. Visit our applicants page for more information.